Analyst - Investment
Meridiam was founded in 2005 by Thierry Déau, with the belief that the alignment of interests between the public and private sector can provide critical solutions to the collective needs of communities. Meridiam is an independent investment firm specializing in the development, financing, and management of long-term and sustainable public infrastructure projects and assets in the mobility, energy transition and social infrastructure sectors.
With offices in Addis Ababa, Amman, Dakar, Istanbul, New York, Luxembourg, Paris, Toronto and Vienna, Meridiam currently manages 7 billion euros of assets and more than 70 projects globally.
Meridiam is certified ISO 9001: 2015, ISO 26000 Advanced by VigeoEiris and operates on a proprietary methodology in relation to ESG and impact based on UNSDGs.
Meridiam recruits an Analyst to join the Addis Ababa team. The selected candidate will work as a member of the investment team to develop infrastructure projects under the Public-Private Partnership model.
S/he will report directly to the Africa Chief Operating Officer based in Addis, and will support the development of infrastructure projects under the guidance of Senior Investment Directors in charge.
Duties and key responsibilities
- Support the team for the preparation and timely submission of all deliverables required during each phase of the project (RFQ, RFP, closing);
- Participate in the general risk analysis of the project;
- Assist in the preparation of consortium arrangements including teaming agreements;
- Participate in the review and negotiation of legal documents, including concession agreements, design-build agreements, operating agreements and finance documents;
- Participate in the due diligence process, including liaising with respective advisers (legal, technical, insurance, model audit) and coordinating required input from construction and operation partners;
- Participate in the debt raising process, including dealing with banks, capital markets providers and ratings agencies;
Participate in the financial analysis of the project and in the optimization of the project economics by:
Performing detailed analysis of financial model;
- Analyzing potential financial alternatives;
- Running sensitivities.
- Participate in the drafting of all internal memoranda to be presented to the Management;
- Assist in the selection process and coordination of all consultants/advisers (legal, financial, technical, insurance, accounting, tax, etc.);
- Participate in origination of new opportunities, including performing analysis of market sectors, public sector clients and design, construction or operation partners;
- Participate in developing projects including activities on site, with the local communities and authorities
- Participate in the ESG process including all relevant due diligence and implementation of mitigation measures required
- Coordinate with internal Finance group and Asset Management group for all relevant matters; and
- Other ad-hoc work to be performed in the day-to-day activity of the fund manager and the project companies
- Advanced university degree in Economics, Financement, Engineering, or another relevant field.
- One to three years’ relevant experience, either in a project or infratructure finance
- Good understanding of PPP/PFI financing structure and legal framework,
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, some project management/coordination experience would be an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously, prioritise and work towards deadlines in a multi-project and fast-paced environment.
- Excellent team spirit and capacity to establish relationship with colleagues, partners, intellectual service providers in a multicultural context.
- Fluency or advanced ability to speak, read and write in English,
- Knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
Terms and conditions:
- Location: role based in Addis Ababa. This role may include some travels in Eastern African countries
- Package: compensation will be commensurate to experience and qualifications.
- Availability: February 2020
- Benefits: Comprehensive medical and life insurance package
The recruitment process will involve a phone/ video interview and a written test.
Retained candidates will be invited for interviews with Meridiam’s HR representative, the Addis Ababa Office Manager, the Africa Chief Operating Officer, and other relevant stakeholders as deemed relevant.